Friday, March 15, 2019

Showing Gratitude - How to Be Grateful for Your Happiness

Gratitude begets happiness and happiness leads to gratitude. Gratitude increases happiness and frees or distances one's attention from sadness or negative thoughts and feelings. The more grateful a person is, the happier one becomes. Although happiness naturally comes in response to good times, gratitude for the reasons of such happiness has to be worshiped and practiced as it does not come natural. It is only when the attitude of gratitude is nurtured that it becomes a 'natural' and spontaneous response to happy experiences. So, how can one be grateful for one's happiness? It is by willfully demonstrating gratitude.

There are many ways to show gratitude depending on one's experiences and reasons for happiness. Lists of practical recommendations could me limitless. From experience, let me share easy tips which have helped me feel happier every day even in tough moments.

First, I show my gratitude to God. God already knows what is within my mind and heart and no thoughts or words are sufficient enough to express gratitude but I start my day by kindly thanking God who is the creator of my life and the author of my destiny. I am happy because I have life, I am still alive and journeying through life's roads. How can't I be thankful? So, in prayer, I silently count the blessings I receive and willfully thank in advance for those that have yet to come (which normally come due time). Part of the morning ritual is my prayer of Psalm 103: 1-5:

"Bless the Lord, my soul! Everything in me, bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, my soul, and forget none of his benefits!
He forgives all your offsets, He heals all your diseases,
He redeems your life from the pit, He surrounds you with grace and compassion,
He contents you with good as long as you live, so that your youth is renewed like an eagle's. "

This prayer captures my gratitude for all that have been and my hopeful yearning for the good things yet to come. It helps me focus on the bright side of life in the light of faith especially when the going gets tough. As I am happy for being blessed, so I thank the prime source of blessings. By so doing, I feel even happier.

Second, I show my gratitude to people. Countless are the reasons for thanking the people who have contributed to make my life better and happier. From simple favours to enforced acts of generosity received, ways of thanking people are many depending on one's creativity. To my beloved ones near me (here in Brazil), hugs and kisses are deeply personal and culturally indispensable. To the ones far and away, messages and calls are a must. And to each one I meet each day, I show smiles, handshakes and hugs loaded with words of appreciation and intentional mention of the reasons I am thankful for. Simple words and gestures are often more than enough to make me and others feel happy and light. And when I can, I return the favors I receive by directly giving them back something or giving something to those who need it most.

Third, I show my gratitude to things. Yes, it is true. Things! Not only thank for them but also to them. Since there are countless things around, I single out some of them and highlight what they positively mean to me depending on the moment. I thank the cool air in the morning, the birds chirping at dawn, the trees that offer shades and filter, the car that takes me to places, the food etc. This practice, weird it may seem, just helps me feel happier through the day. Meanings change depending on how one attaches them to things or situations. I try to be grateful for the positive meanings things might mean to me and others. Otherwise, negativities in meanings and impacts abound to make one's life less of a reason for thanksgiving and joy. Opting for them is also a lifestyle but not worthwhile. Resistance to them is a defense of gratitude and of happiness itself.

Showing gratitude to God, people and things is nothing but a simple and less effortful demonstration of acknowledgment and appreciation for what one is and has become through them. Gratitude seems to cost nothing. More often than not, it costs a lot to one's happiness.